Post by NightMachines on Mar 25, 2019 22:31:56 GMT
It’s all backwards!Theme:
Create a patch that sounds as if the music was played backwards. Submission window:
Monday 25th March -> Monday 1st April (23:59:59)Background:
In this challenge you may use the AE Modular directly or an AE Modular recording processed in a DAW to create music that sounds as if it was played back in reverse.
The challenge is set, and runs during the submission window set out above, however, please feel free to add entries or leave comments after the initial challenge has ended.Each entry should contain:
- Link to audio or video example (embedded preferred)
- Short (or not so short) patch notes, explaining how you have built on the above theme
Your entry can be as short/long as you wish, a simple sound or a track, use external fx or synths, do what you can in the time you have - go wild, make the challenge yours!
You are welcome to use previous entries, as inspiration, build on them to form something new, or just use in a different way, you are welcome to submit multiple entries.
If you are posting on social media (youtube, soundcloud) , please tag with #AEChallenge and #AEModular, and include a link back to the challenge thread here on the AE Modular forum.Everyone is actively encouraged to comment on entries
provide feedback and ideas... you are welcome to continue commenting/discussing outside of the submission window. The more we discuss, the more we all learn
This is part of the AE patch challenge series - if you would like more information, or have ideas for the challenge, please post on the patch challenge thread
Post by spacedog on Apr 28, 2019 18:37:18 GMT
I couldn't believe that there hadn't been a single entry on this one, so I set about doing something different (and short). I'll explain afterwards.
So, here's what I did:
I recorded two AE Modular sequences (one low and one high) both with two oscillators (the 2OSC and the OSC) having their own filters (WASP and SVF), envelopes (2ENV) and VCAs (2VCA), mixed into delay (DELAY )and reverb (external spring). The two filters were modulated by separate LFOs, running at different rates and both at a different rate to the sequence clock. Then finally, the sequences were reversed and matched in Reaper, so that the phasing meant that the sequences appear to reverse (to my ears anyway).
Simple and quick. The real experiment was tuning the oscillators and then sequencing them across several octaves hoping they would sound reasonably well in tune.
I may just use the main sequences (non-reversed) for something else later.