Considering that my woodworking skills are somewhere between rudimentary and severly limited, this came out acceptable. It's quite chunky and heay, on purpose. And room for a third 2x20 case. I had problems with the AE case hinge kit, because i still have mdules with the old square in sockets, and when inserting the patchcables in those sockets you have to apply quite some preassure, which was a challenge for the case hinge kit, to a degree where i had to support the top case every time i inserted patchcables in the square sockets. The DIY cabinet has rubber feet that holds it firmly to the table. Still considering staining it, but i will wait until i am sure the angles i chose work for me.
Looks great, are the AEs just wedged in, or have you attahced to the wood?
The AE cases are secured to the cabinet with M5 screws that go into the embedded nuts in the cases normally used for the hinge kit. The 15mm Birch plywood is probably a little overkill 12mm or maybe even 10 would probably be sufficient. I just hacked it together over the weekend with whatever i had in the basement. But it's rock solid and stable. There are a couple of horisontal supports that you can't see in the pictures, but they are only for "lateral" stability, they are not supporting the cases. The casesare only held in place by the 4 M5 screws.
I have gone for a similar design - only 16 wide though. The design is based on the moog mother, DFAM, subharmonicum set up - same angles. Has a re-moveable back for extra strength and so that I can add and remove modules without having to take the individual cases out. I have used the same system of fixing the cases in place. Painted light grey and I love it. Still have a few spaces for extra modules...
I started out with a cardboard template for the side walls. On that template i used an empty AE case to outline the position of the (end of) cases in the cabinet, while doing that i used a sharp pencil to mark the center of the nuts.
Then when i had cut the end walls out, i drilled the holes for the M5 screws with a 6.5 mm drill so there is 1.5 mm "slack" for each hole. I tried first to drill with a 5mm drill, but the holes i drilled did not line up precise enough with the nuts in the case. Making the holes sligtly larger did the trick. You could make them even larger and use a washer to get more "slack".
Post by maydonpoliris on Feb 15, 2022 22:40:41 GMT
Not really a cabinet but was inspired by it and decided on a closing one as I went along. I'm pretty up for a darwin award when it comes to this sort of stuff so to be safe I held the corners in place with some wood glue and cloth tape and I liked the colour so I kept going. looks a bit tacky but works, saves me painting i guess too.
The Ae is held in by screws, I took the side off the Ae and used it as a template which worked quite well.
The 2*16 case has another hinge on the reverse side so i can add another row which folds down as well to a stack of 3 or 4. 3 works but opening up 4 and keeping it there is too much trouble and risky. 2 fits into a travel case too and will be easier to lock up so I might get another pedal case for this purpose.
I also put some felt pads in the corners to soften the closing and give the bigger knobs some more room just in case I miss judged.